Making something simple is very difficult. The best modern example of simplicity is the iphone (or the ipad, which is simply the same thing, only bigger), a very intelligent phone with only one button (well, four, really), apple have stripped away all the complex interfaces, leaving us with what we really need. Now, with my grade-bolstering apple flattery out of the way, I can move on.
LAWS OF SIMPLICITY;
LAW 10: the one
Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious, and adding the meaningful.
LAW 9: failure
Some things can never be made simple.
LAW 8: trust
In simplicity we trust.
LAW 7: emotion
More emotions are better than less.
LAW 6: context
What lies in the periphery of simplicity is definitely not peripheral.
LAW 5: differences
Simplicity and complexity need each other.
LAW 4: learn
Knowledge makes everything simpler.
LAW 3: time
Savings in time feel like simplicity.
LAW 2: organise
Organisation makes a system of many appear fewer.
LAW 1: reduce
The simplest way to achieve simplicity is through thoughtful reduction.
Hopefully you will interpret the structure of this post as an interpretation of these rules, rather than laziness on my behalf. In an ideal world, I’d have finished now, but I’ll write a bit more to be on the safe side. The more simplistic something is, the more of an impact it makes. Again, take the iphone, it’s simple touch interface changed the market, whereas the more complex design of a blackberry changed nothing. Another apple analogy can be made with the PC vs mac debate; apple is changing the game, simply because OSx is far more simple than Windows. Now, with windows 8, Microsoft are attempting to out-apple apple, providing the most simplified attempt at an operating system. Sadly, whenever I see footage of it, I am reminded of Law 9.
I’m sure I could have made some witty references to spaghetti hoops, or cake, but I simply couldn’t think of any.
No comments:
Post a Comment