Since I missed last week’s blog for reasons not to be divulged (FYI, laziness), I shall consolidate both due posts into one small and monthly repayment, umm, I mean one single post. So, what’s first? Well, let’s see… how about the concept of a ‘simulacra’? The term was first used in this context by a stylish looking chap named Jean Baudrillard, who says our current society has replaced all reality and meaning with symbols and signs, and that human experience is of a simulation of reality. Of course, one can easily compare the concept of a ‘simulation of reality’ to the internet.
The internet is increasingly being thought of as an actual place, somewhere we physically go; be it to communicate with others, seek entertainment, or even do the weekly shop. But that’s not the most interesting part, yesee, when somebody goes to the internet these days; they tailor their experience to cater for their interests. For example, a celebrity blogger is going to have a radically different online experience then an ex-film director hoping to make some viral videos. We each get our own mini, personalised internet; which I think is a lovely idea.
However, some people believe that the internet’s encroach to IRL is far from a good thing. “Nothing beats traditional conversation!” they say, “It’s a waste of time!” they say, “Get a job!” they say. It seems to me that naysayers are simply Digital Immigrants - merely tourists in a foreign country they don’t understand.
NOW, watch as the topic of this post shifts radically! Now, as if by magic, I’m talking about sound theory and practice. Boom. I’mma start with a quote from Walter Ong; “The world of sound is an event world and the world of sight is an object world.” The layman implications of this are as follows; when one looks upon a tin of spaghetti hoops, one sees a tin of spaghetti hoops, however, if one hears a tin of spaghetti hoops opening, one thinks not of an object, but of an experience, the tantalising tomatoey flavour, the contrast between the soft hoops and the crunchy toast. Arguably, sounds have a more profound effect on us than the visual.
As I’m sure you know, sound can be exploited to create a visual image while simultaneously evoking an emotional reaction more powerful, even more personal than, say, a painting ever could. These techniques are commonly utilised by the likes of Boyzone, Westlife and Snow Patrol.
No comments:
Post a Comment